Thursday, November 22, 2012

So Thankful

It is not hard to guess what I am thankful for this year. Growing up I never babysat and never wanted to hold babies. I loved my cousins but even they made me a little uncomfortable when they were really little. Then I got married and something inside me shifted. I was baby crazy. I knew that we would benefit from being married for a few years pre-kids but the dynamic with Will and me has always been me negotiating to start our family earlier than later. I say all of that just to point out that this girl is the answer to prayers that I've been praying for a long time. And I am beyond grateful for her precious life.

These first three weeks with her have both flown and creeped by... I feel like she just got here and has been here forever. It has been a major adjustment to have another human depend on you for everything. There is no copping out of parent duties because you're tired or not in the mood. Particularly when you are the food source. But Will and I have amazingly supportive and selfless families. My mom stayed for a week and Will's mom has been here for the past week. It is so much easier for me to tend to Greer when I have a sweet mamma here tending to me. My water cup has not been empty since she was born, my house is as clean as it's ever been, I have slept well and often, I haven't done a load of laundry myself since I was pregnant, life is good.

So, true to form here is a list of the specific things I am thankful for today:

- Greer is a happy girl. She has such a laid back disposition. She's only awake for several hours a day but during those hours she is just as content as she can be. If she's crying then she is hungry, cold or you are messing with her too much. If she is full and clothed, she is happy.

- She is a growing girl. Breast feeding is going well. But it is an art... not a science. So I am so thrilled that she weighed 9 lbs. 6 oz. at her appointment yesterday! She has gained almost a pound since birth. Which makes mommy happy and much more relaxed that she is getting what she needs.

- I feel great. I was so worried about post-partum issues before she was born. But my body and mind are both holding up great! Being her mom comes with a lot of pressure and unsure moments but I am thankful that I feel nothing but love and joy. I know that's not the case for everyone and I'm grateful it is for me. Also, I have my follow up appointment with my doctor next week and I'm hopeful that I'll get the go ahead to start taking Greer on walks and get back to normal physical activities. I feel great so hopefully the doc will give the green light!

- I am thankful for a God who has poured out so many blessings on us through this child. I told Will this week that I am trying to accept these gifts for what they are and just be grateful... instead of guilty. I have to admit that I have moments where I just feel bad for how well everything is going. I keep thinking, "This is supposed to be a lot harder!" But I am doing better every day. I have an angel baby - and I'll keep her!

I hope everyone had a great Turkey Day and that you are also able to count your blessings today. Here are some pictures of our happy girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment