Monday, July 11, 2011

Memory Monday

Sir Dexter Peeples.
Since I am a single lady for the next few weeks I have a whole new appreciation and love for our (current) child Dexter. I know that when I actually have a child Dexter will go through a tough phase of feeling or actually being neglected. BUT right now he is such a great little companion and I love having him around more than ever since Will is not home. 

We got Dexter right before Christmas 2008. Will was working at an Investment Bank and was keeping really long hours. To be honest, it had been such a short amount of time that I was not really feeling the effects of his long hours yet but I got lots of suggestions that I get a dog so that I had some company at night. I knew what a huge responsibility a dog was so I fought it at first. I even tried to convince Will (and myself) that maybe we should get a cat. Ew. That was a short lived thought. Sorry cat-people. I am not one of you. 

Will's friend Matthew's girlfriend Cissy's parents breed pugs (is that confusing enough for you) so we started thinking about getting one of their puppies. WELL, we had to make a decision fast because they had a new litter so if we wanted one we need to snag it now. Here's a picture of the three that were available...

 
I know this sounds crazy but I really don't know which one is Dexter. I'm 99% sure he's not the one on the right but I'm pretty sure he could be the one on the left or in the middle. Anyway, when I saw this picture I was sold. So, on December 13, 2008 we went and picked our puppy. Sir Dexter Peeples.

Of course, I wanted the snuggliest one. And that has totally paid off - Dexter is the best snuggler EVER. 


For the record, Dexter is not named after the Showtime show Dexter. I did not name my dog after a serial killer - even if he serial kills in the name of good. I did, however, name my dog after a Carey Grant character from one of my favorite movies - The Philadelphia Story. I just thought it was funny to name our so ugly he's cute new dog after one of the most handsome men to ever live. So, that's the story on the name.

Anyway, we got home and Dexter whined for at least a full 24 hours. But he finally calmed down and all we did for the next week was sit at home and play with him. He definitely ruled the house...









Since then Will has gone back to school, we have moved into a house, Will and I have been married for two-and-a-half more years and we have done it all with Dexter by our sides and (I am embarrassed to say) sleeping in our bed! We love you little Dex man - I am sorry in advance for forgetting you exist when one day (read: one day) a baby comes home to live with us and you feel like we don't love you any more. I promise, we do. :-)






They call you man's best friend for a reason... 

2 comments:

  1. For the record.... I can tell that we are all in for a boat load of "mommy loves you" posts when the baby does finally come home some day. ;) Also....
    Last week we saw a pug in WY, and Ada said, "that looks like Dexter, Mommy!"...... walking over to the dog....."no no, Dex." Girl knows how to get a laugh. ;) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, if my kid ever reads my blog he/she will most definitely die of embarrassment. And, I think one day LONG from now we will put "Here lies No No Dex" on Dexter's little doggy tombstone. ;-)

    ReplyDelete