Friday, July 15, 2011

Mommy Dearest

First of all, I want to be clear that the title of this entry does NOT refer to Joan Crawford. Although, like Joan Crawford, my mom and I both hate wire hangers. ANYWAY, on this Friday I would like to just give a shout out to my mom! I sent some (well deserved) love to my mother-in-law earlier this week and realized that, other than thanking her for my still-super-awesome sunglasses, I have not given my mom enough TLC on here!! Sticking with my bullet point ways (which I have now realized I think I have subconsciously stolen from my sister-in-law Amy) here is the tip of the ice berg about my mom:

  • I came into her life very early and we have been best friends ever since.
  • We have the same hands.
  • Spending a day or lazy night with just she and Susan is one of the most fun things I can do. They are so funny and SUPER entertaining when they get in a silly mood.
  • I have had the privilege of learning from her examples and the benefit of learning from some of her mistakes. She has always been so open and honest with me that it has been easy to do both. 
  • I had to tell her what MILF (sorry to be crude) meant when Susan came home from school one day upset that her friends kept telling her that her mom was a MILF. Mom acted horrified but she totally smirked when I she thought I wasn't looking. ;-)
  • She has amazing taste in clothes, shoes, jewelry, everything. She has always been my fashion plate and she has always encouraged me to dress classically and effortlessly. I know that she cringes a little when I show up for lunch and have something really trendy on.
  • She cracks me up. I received an email from her yesterday that included the phrase "whoop ass." She is from Pine Bluff and will never change. 
  • She is the toughest woman I know. She is a survivor.
  • The word "no" is impossible for her to say without encouragement from someone else. You could ask her to drive to Alaska tomorrow pick something up for you and she would start planning out the trip.
  • Her love is the definition of unconditional. Even when people have betrayed her or hurt her she is still unwavering in her love for them. This has been an amazing example for me in my life.
  • I got my dance skills from her. In other words, my moves are all her fault. 
  • She does a killer impression of Madea. "HallelujER!!"
  • I think when other people talk about me, introduce me, label me, whatever, the list sometimes includes "married to Will, went to PA, was a Kappa, grew up in Little Rock..." but ALWAYS includes "has a super hot mom."
  • Getting pedicures with her is the best.
  • She told me with total conviction when I was 16 that Will was in love with me and that I would probably marry him. Still don't know how she did that. But I think it had something to do with hearing some of the songs he put on a mix cd for me. Ahhh... to be in high school again.
  • Do NOT call her Mary.
  • She is DYING for a grandchild. Just ask her.
  • I talk to her ALMOST every day and it is one of the highlights of my day. 
(These pictures are repeated from a post before she came to visit me. So sue me.)





You are a woman to love, Mom. 

1 comment:

  1. Your Mom never babysat, never had anything to do with little ones, thought she never wanted any children but, the minute she held you in her arms, she was in love. It has been a love affair to remember for 25 years. When she says the names Caroline or Susan,an uncontrollable smile comes across her face and, her eyes light up. Her girls have been the greatest gifts in her life... So, I celebrate what God has given her (and, this family). And, yes, she is a woman to love, as are you.

    ReplyDelete