Thursday, September 1, 2011

Theater Thursday 9.1.11 -TV Edition


 So I talked about my TV addiction/obsession yesterday. So, I thought I'd dedicate today to the small screen. Here are my favorites (these are all shows that are currently on the air):

Comedy
1. Modern Family - Best comedy on TV. Single camera show that manages to be mainstream AND inventively funny. Will and I laugh so hard at this show every week. Phil and Cam are our favorites. I hate putting a show that's gotten so much hype as my fav but people have talked about it for a reason.
2. 30 Rock - I am a big Tina Fey fan and I love this show. It's completely random humor, which is pretty much my favorite kind. Um... I also have a huge, inappropriate crush on Alec Baldwin. Don't tell my republican husband.
3. Parks and Recreation - This show is like a new crush for me. I've always really liked Amy Pohler but for whatever reason I didn't immediately jump on board with this show. Thank goodness for Netflix instant. This show is so amazingly hilarious. There are so many different kinds of characters and storylines. Again, semi-ridiculous humor but completely incredible. I love it.
4. The Office - This will obviously be a lot different this next season without Steve Carrel but I have faith since they did add one of my favorite actors of all time. I love James Spader. Probably a little too much since he does some creepy movies. But I think he's so funny. Boston Legal was one of my all time favorite shows and he was about 50% of why (the other 50% being split between Candice Bergen, William Shatner and the writing). I am one of those who is holding out hope that The Office will be great this year.
5. Curb Your Enthusiasm - Larry David is totally over the top and a comedy genius. He makes that awkward, "Why would you say or do that?!" humor watchable and is so funny that I can handle it. I mean, one episode this season was about him competing for a woman with Rosie O'Donnell. So funny.

Drama
1. Grey's Anatomy - I understand if you hate me for loving this show. Don't care. Still love it. 
2. Bones - I have never watched this show live. I discovered it on Netflix instant this summer and watched the entire series in about two weeks. Will walked in our house one night a few weeks after I found it and his jaw dropped, "Caroline, you are not on episode 52?!" Yeah... I have told you that I have a TV problem. But I can't wait for this season and the Brennan/Booth baby!
3. Parenthood - I. Love. This. Show. It embodies everything that an overly dramatic show should be but is still somehow very grounded to me. It's about four siblings and their respective nuclear families. I think each one of their stories is great. AND it stars Lauren Graham. I could watch her chew gum. Is that even a saying? Well, now it is.
4. Does Keeping up with the Kardashians count as a drama? No. Right. Yeah... I don't watch that anyway. Filth. Who would spend time watching that? No.
5. Glee - Okay, Glee is CLEARLY not a drama but I don't think it's really a comedy either. Also, I apparently don't get my drama from TV. I like to laugh at TV. So I'm putting it here because I don't have any other dramas that I really like right now. But I do love me some Glee. Now, I am concerned that it's going to become a hot mess this season but I am hoping against hope that it stays good. Because I love musicals!

RIP - the shows I loved that are no longer on:
1. Boston Legal - Hilarious. So hilarious. I kept the series finally on my DVR for over a year. I loved that show. 
2. The Sopranos - I know that it's dark and over the top but I really liked this show. One of the best of all time in my opinion. 
3. Gilmore Girls - I will never forgive the CW (or WB or whatever the heck the channel was when this show was on) for canceling this show without any sort of fanfare or really wrapping things up the way I would have liked. The last episode of the season was filmed before they officially decided to end the series so it just felt weird at the end. But this show is magical. Seriously. I love that they talk crazy fast and there are weird characters and Lauren Graham is a nut. I love it. And I miss it. I am not usually a fan of the TV show to movie model (with one notable exception - SATC 1 not 2) but I would go see the Gilmore movie opening day. Or midnight the night before. Gah - please make a movie!
4. CSI - I know that it's still on but I miss CSI when Grissom was on it! I might give it a chance again since Ted Danson is joining the cast. But I have a lot to watch on Thursdays so, yeah, probably not. 
5. The West Wing - I honestly didn't watch this show when it was actually on the air. This was my first Netflix obsession. You know, back when you had to get the DVD's in the mail and then wait for the new ones to come before you could keep going. Yeah, I actually worked out a system in college so that I was rotating my three rentals correctly and could watch this series all the way through. Gosh, I miss college and being able to do stuff like that. 

Happy Thursday! 



No comments:

Post a Comment