Monday, June 13, 2011

Memory Monday

Well, since I have been especially obsessed with Will this summer (I'm tempted to say, "for some reason" but I don't think that's true - I don't think I have to make up an excuse to be obsessed with him!) I thought my Memory Monday would be about our engagement. I thought about writing about the wedding for 3.5 seconds and then decided that I don't have the energy to go into all of those (wonderful) emotions. So, instead here is the story of Will asking me to spend the rest of my life with him. And why the way he did it says everything about what our lives will be like forever...

1. Surprise was key. Will knew that we would get to a point where every time we saw each other I would think he was going to propose. So, instead of us getting to that point Will decided to propose much earlier than I thought he would. He definitely succeeded. I was CLUELESS. Now, Will's first idea for surprising me was to take me to a fancy dinner, make a big deal out of it so that I would think he was going to pop the question... and then he wouldn't. But he would the next day. Thank goodness Mary Helen kabashed this idea and Will just went for the, "we'll go to casual dinner and she'll think we're going to a movie then I'll totally shock her" approach. And it worked. We ate at Dixie Cafe and then I thought we were picking MH up for the movie when Will hit a knee in the entry-way of our house. Thus began two very important trends in our lives... Mary Helen saving Will from himself and delicious but cheap chain restaurants.

2. Throw me a party. After Will asked and I said yes he told me that our parents were together so we were going to see them. So, in the car on our way to my parents' apartment I called ALL of my friends and NO ONE answered. I was peeved to say the least. I was also rather dense, it turned out. We walked into my parents' to about 50 people - parents, grandparents, parents' friends, our friends. It was SO great. Will knew how excited I would be to share the story with everyone and how great it would be to be able to actually SEE everyone right after this major, life changing event. There was cake, champagne and lots of laughter. It was a GREAT party. And we haven't stopped throwing parties since.

3. Humor. A couple of funny things from the night.
-When Will and I told everyone the story of him proposing his dad asked if we had a date. I coyly answered, "Um, sometime in May." To which someone in the crowd responded, "It's on the cake!" Haha. Even funnier is that the date on the cake (May 24) didn't work out AND my dad threw that cake away exactly one month ago. Ick.
-I thought the plan that night was to go to see Die Hard 4. Very romantic.
-Before Will and I went to dinner he hung out with me at MH's for a bit and we all three watched TV. I didn't know it at the time but Mary had to go to her room several times because the tension/nerves were killing her since she knew what was about to happen.
-After the party I asked Will a (semi) inappropriate question because I honestly had no idea. I asked him how big my diamond was. His answer... "It's bigger than a carat and smaller than Amy's." Ha!

It was the day everything was set in motion and a day I'll never forget. He did an amazing job - sheer perfection. Another sign of things to come...


I'm Engaged!
Walking into the party
So surprised and EXCITED!
Parents. Love them.
(Clearly) At the end of the night. Couldn't be happier.

Until tomorrow...



No comments:

Post a Comment