Monday, June 27, 2011

Memory Monday

What's in a number? Today's memory may seem a little odd... but I'm going to write "in memory" of my Arkansas cell phone number. Will and I switched cell phone carriers yesterday (AT&T can eat my dust - that's what you get for not giving me service on I-40, one of the busiest stretches of interstate in the country and I can't get a lousy two bars of "Edge" service? Yeah, see ya). We talked about it and decided that since we were switching to Verizon now was as good a time as any to also switch to the 615 Nashville area code. I don't mind saying that this was HARD for me. I was basically twitching in the Verizon store. So, here's to you 501-425-3777. Thanks for all the memories:

1. I can't totally remember but I'm 99% sure that my first phone was that tiny, boxy Nokia that came in red and blue. Mine was blue:
  •  First of all, with the iPhone at a close second I think this is my favorite phone I ever owned.
  • I played Snake on this phone for probably a full week straight when you add up all the hours.
  • I could assign specific ring tones to people on this bad boy and Zach Thicksten got the Lifehouse instant classic "Hanging by a Moment" 
  • I would pay a LOT of money to be able to turn this phone back on and read the text messages. There is no telling - between the three boys I dated and texted and the girlie high school fights that probably happened - that would be a great afternoon activity.
  • Will and I started dating via a text on this phone. :-)
  • I gave it up for a flip phone - huge mistake. 
  2. I had this Samsung piece of junk when I went to college:
  • I took a picture of Robert Redford on this thing when he came to town. And now it's gone forever... Ahhh. Sad times.  
  • Will and I had a LOT of conversations through this phone while dating long distance. We broke up through it once, too. Ha. Good riddance little flip phone. 
 3. Hello Sliver!


  • Best friends ever - I was having a hard time around my 20th birthday so my (amazing) friends wanted to do something really special for me. As you can probably tell from my comments above, I did NOT like my last phone. SO... for my birthday my friends all chipped in and bought me one awesome present - a new cell phone. The Sliver. They got me to go to the bathroom during my birthday dinner and they switched my SIM card to the new phone and had Will call me when I sat back down. When I went to answer it I realized that it was a different phone! Gosh, that was a great night and so sweet of them to do!!
 4. THE IPHONE
  •  The month of mine and Will's first wedding anniversary the iPhone came into my life. And things have never been the same... Okay, that is WAY dramatic. But the iPhone is the greatest phone (I was tempted to say "thing" but that is too much) ever.
  •  Countless photos of Ada and Mary Win were sent to this phone. 
  • This phone helped me navigate NYC, Memphis, Atlanta, Durham, Chicago and many other fun places.
  • Will and I searched RealTracs for houses on this phone.
  • Will and I took tons of photos while fixing up and moving into our new house on this phone.
So, those are the highlights - the phones, the stories, some fun things that happened back when I was a 501 (and when I had one of the easiest numbers to remember).  

And here's to the future - I love our life in Nashville and have totally come to accept that we really might not ever move... and I'm excited about that! I'm also excited about all the new things that will happen with our new phones and new numbers. Here's hoping that we tell people we're pregnant, what sex the baby is, that Will got a job, that we bought a new house, that we are having another baby, that we're adopting a baby (who knows?!) and all the other fun and exciting things that will happen in our lives from our new area code. 


Signing out from the 615...


No comments:

Post a Comment